Sunday, April 28, 2013

Homemade soup noodles


I found this recipe online and am so grateful I did because this is literally comfort food at its best.  I've made them several times now and have finally perfected them.  I make my dad this chicken noodle soup (minus the actual chicken) with these noodles about once a month and this last batch was the best so far, so I really have figured out some tricks that I'll share with you as I go along:

{What you need}
4 eggs
6 Tablespoons melted butter, cooled
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

In a countertop mixer (or you can do all of it by hand), whisk together eggs and butter.  In a separate bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together.  Gradually add in the flour mixture to the egg mixture and keep mixing with the dough hook until the dough becomes stiff and all the dry ingredients are incorporated from off the bottom of the bowl.  Mix together for a few more minutes to make sure everything is blended well.  Divide dough into three sections.  On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough out to about 1/16 of an inch thick (or however thick you would like).  Place each sheet of dough onto a cloth and set aside for 30-45 minutes to dry out partially.  Once they are dried a little, roll each sheet into a loose spiral and cut the noodles however thick you would like with a sharp knife.  You can also not roll them up and just eyeball cutting straight lines, as I find it takes a little while to unroll each noodle if you do roll the sheets up.  Totally your preference.  Once all your noodles are cut, place them in a single layer to dry out for one more hour.  Once they are dry, boil them in water that is separate from your soup for 7-10 minutes. I boiled them in my soup broth in the past and found that the melted butter dilutes the soup flavor and makes it taste weird.  Once they are boiled, then I add the cooked noodles to the soup as a last step in the soup prep.  This keeps the integrity of the flavor in both the soup broth and the noodles, and let me tell you, it is some awesome flavor!!

*These noodles would also be great with any type of stroganoff or creamy pasta recipe!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails