Monday, September 19, 2011

Creamy Baked Yam Soup


I was nervous that this soup wouldn't turn out, because I sort of created this recipe by myself {inspired by this recipe that i came across on pinterest}. . . but it seriously changed my life and the lives of the rest of my family who partook! And the best part? IT IS INCREDIBLY HEALTHY!!!!! AND EEEEAAAAAASSSSYYYYYYYYY!!!!! Perfect for the upcoming fall season, and delicious enough to entertain with and blow the minds of even the toughest critics. {yields 4 quarts}

{What you need}
5 pounds yams, cleaned and diced into 1/2 inch cubes, keeping the skin on
1 medium yellow onion, diced
10 cloves of garlic, whole
8 cups chicken broth
8 oz. full fat cream cheese
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1 Tablespoon seasoning salt

Combine yams, onion, garlic, broth, and seasoning salt in a 6 quart slow cooker.  Cook on high for 5 hours or until yams are cooked through.  Next, puree the cooked yam mixture and the cream cheeses in batches in either a food processor or blender until it is all incorporated.  Serve with diced green onion, a little sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired.  We had it with whole wheat rolls, too.  Amazing!!!!  

1 comment:

Brenda Sue said...

I am always so nervous to create my own recipes. I am so excited to try this recipe. I love sweet potatoes, and cream cheese!! :) Thank you for sharing your creations!! Your blog has inspired me to enjoy my love for cooking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails