Sunday, June 20, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding


If I had to pick one meal I could associate my entire childhood with, roast beef and yorkshire pudding would be it. I was raised on this stuff. I have so many fond memories of the family sitting around the Sunday dinner table, fighting over who got the last yorkshire. My brother would usually win because he would always pull the "I'm growing!" card. He's 6'8'' now. And he still pulls that card when we all come together and have roast beef and yorkshires for family dinner! I try to pull the "I'm growing---wider!" card to nab the last one, but I rarely get it. It's probably for the best. This is a traditional English meal that my grandparents acquired over 60 years ago when they were both serving as LDS missionaries in England. It's a Durrant family tradition to have this every month on Fast Sunday to break our fast. I plan on keeping that tradition alive in my own family. Hopefully I'll be able to make them as good as my mama!

{What you need}
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
vegetable oil

Leave the milk and eggs out over night, or as long as it takes to get them at room temperature. *It is very important that they are at room temperature, or the puddings will not rise* Whip the eggs until fluffy. Gradually add milk while continuing to whip. Slowly add flour and salt. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add a teaspoon of oil to each cup of a muffin tin and preheat the oiled muffin tin in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until oil is good and hot. Fill each muffin cup of the preheated muffin tin with 1/3 cup of the yorkshire pudding batter. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. They will rise and look gorgeous! And they are sooo good. Serve with a roast, mashed potatoes and gravy for full satisfaction.

(Compliments of Jackie Durrant)


1 comment:

Curtis & Co. said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE!!!!! Oh yay! I want to make them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails