Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Katsudon



A family favorite since I can remember.  My dad served his mission in Japan and this was one of his favorites there, so my mom figured out how to make it for him and we had it at least once a month growing up.  Then my mom made it for my hub one day and he fell in love with it, too.  So we'll be having this one often around our house for years to come.


{What you need}

Four lean pork loins or chicken breasts- boneless
        I sometimes buy a pork roast
        and slice it into half inch pieces
        and freeze for next time
6 eggs  (dad likes 8)
        two will be used in
        breading the pork loin
1 Yellow or white onion sliced into thin rings
bread crumbs - non seasoned
oil for frying

{sauce}
 1/3 c. soy sauce
 1/3 c plus a little of sugar
 2 cups water

     Cut extra fat away from pork loin.  Mix two eggs in a bowl.  Coat pork in eggs and then breadcrumbs.  Fry in a one inch depth of oil til very brown.  Set pork aside on a paper towel-lined plate.  Pork doesn't need to completely cook through yet.
     Mix sauce ingredients thoroughly in a fry pan.  Place onion rings around pan.   Boil onions for about 5-7 minutes (7 was perfect for me), or until tender.  When pork loins are cooled a little, cut them into slices and place on top of onions.  Bring to a boil.  Whip the remaining 4 eggs and add to leftover egg mixture.  Pour over boiling mixture. Put lid on and let eggs cook for about two minutes.  Serve over rice immediately.  The longer eggs cook they will turn a gray color from mixing with the soy.  Serve when eggs are still yellow, with rice and pot stickers.  Itadakimasu!!

(Compliments of Jackie Durrant)

1 comment:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

This is very similar to the dish my hubby orders at our local Japanese place, but his is made with chicken. I think the pork would be lots tastier. I'll have to surprise him & make this! Thanks for sharing a family favorite :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails