Saturday, April 6, 2013

Jillian's Soft Sugar Cookies


I will never make another recipe of sugar cookies!!  My friend, Jillian, was so sweet to share this recipe with me.  I made a few batches of these for my dad for his birthday, and I thought he was going to cry when he opened the box.  Soft sugar cookies with no frosting are his favorite cookies, but he is always disappointed when he thinks he has found a kind he'll like.  He literally ADORED these sugar cookies.  They are the cookies he has dreamed about for his whole life.  And he's quite the critic when it comes to sugar cookies, so you can totally trust this recipe!  They also freeze great if you want to make a bunch in advance or just to have them on hand.

{What you need}
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sour cream
4-6 cups flour 
(just until the texture is still just a bit sticky; it should be kind of a runny dough, though.)

Cream shortening, sugar, vanilla, and salt.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Alternately add the dry ingredients and sour cream.  I added about 4.5 cups.  Chill the dough for 3 hours or up to 2 days.  Roll out batches of the dough on an floured surface with a floured rolling pin until it is about 1/4 of an inch thick.  Cut into desired shapes and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.  I actually took them out at 7 minutes 30 seconds so that they stay fluffy and soft.  Immediately remove from cookie sheet and cool them on a towel.  Repeat until the dough is gone.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails