Monday, February 22, 2010

Hawaiian Rice Salad


This dish is perfect for lunch, or as side for any meal. I served it with the Ham and Swiss Sliders (recipe below). It is great for entertaining (showers, church functions, bbq's, etc.) and is easy to make large quantities of. I am so grateful to my mother-in-law, Erin, for sharing amazing recipes with me. She is such a phenomenal chef. This one comes from her.

{What you need}
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 (13 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve liquid)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
(use pineapple liquid with water to cook rice)
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup red grapes, halved
1/2 cup cashew pieces (I used almonds)
--put these ingredients in a bowl; set aside--

--in separate bowl mix the following, then add to above--
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 cup mayonnaise (or plain yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
dash of pepper

Chill for 2 hours. Yields 7 cups.

John really enjoyed this dish. So did I. We have a ton left over since there are only two of us, and I pick at it all day long.  It would be great with shrimp, too.

(Compliments of Erin Henrie)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails